Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Henry Jenkins Reflection

Wow. What an interesting man. I honestly expected a "social media guru" to be someone I wouldn't quite be able to follow, but he is such a personable, passionate individual. It was inspiring to see how he truly had a complete understanding of social media and his topic(s) of interest. With one question, he replied with at least a 4 minute response. This man loves what he does. He has encouraged me as a young, thriving student to seek out my passions. So much can be done with one topic, and just through research you can discover a plethora of outlets to express yourself and your interests.

I was beyond impressed with his knowledge base and ability to answer our questions in the most effective manner he knew we as students would be able to understand. In my opinion the most influential advice he gave dealt with brands and how to integrate your brand into the community interest. I find this helpful because I am seeking to be employed within a non profit organization where I will be responsible for conducting community outreach. Being able to more distinctly understand how to tap into the emotional aspect of my surrounding community will be the most effective tactic. I never quite realized how important a blog and personal testimonies of those involved in your organization could be in gaining community support. I also never paid much attention to the impact of brand reputation by those who blog and are fans of certain products. A fan base is so essential in building the support by your community.

I think overall, I am just so impressed by his sincerity and seeing how passionate he actually is about this subject. This was truly inspiring, and I am so appreciative of him taking the time to share all of his experiences with us. Thank you, Henry Jenkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment